GSK Challenge at AIPIA World Congress
GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare and Pharmaceuticals businesses are teaming together to host the 2018 AIPIA World Congress Challenge; they invite participants to present innovative ideas, that incorporate Active and Intelligent packaging formats and technologies and can be applied across their portfolio of consumer and pharmaceutical brands. All Association members and congress participants are welcome to participate in this collaborative challenge.
GSK is a science-led global healthcare company with a special purpose: to help people do more, feel better, live longer; they have businesses that research, develop and manufacture trusted consumer healthcare products as well as innovative pharmaceutical medicines.
The Consumer Healthcare business develops and markets people preferred and expert recommended global brands in Oral and Skin health, Respiratory, Pain Relief, and Nutrition/gastro-intestinal categories. GSK one of the world’s leading over-the-counter healthcare companies and hold number one positions in Wellness across 36 markets. GSK has a wide portfolio of loved and trusted brands across categories as follows:
- GSK is one of the world’s largest providers of specialist oral health with a broad range of science-based products such as Sensodyne, Polident and Aquafresh.
- A trusted leader in skin care, delivering innovative science-based products such as Lamisil, Fenistil, Zovirax, Abreva and Physiogel
- The portfolio of leading brands in respiratory include cold and flu, nasal decongestant, allergy and smoking cessation products such as Theraflu, Otrivin, Flonase and Nicotinell
- GSK is a world leader in first-line pain relief products such as Voltaren, Panadol and Excedrin
- The company serves a huge global market with our nutritional products such as Eno, Tums and Horlicks
As an innovative healthcare company, GSK recognizes that with the rapid developments in today’s digital era, packaging has a unique opportunity to play a significant role in enabling and facilitating connected platforms and providing the consumer with increased engagement with products. GSK is looking to integrate Active and Intelligent packaging to enhance the consumer experience with our over-the-counter products as follows:
- Creating a strong and emotional connection with the consumer via connected packaging solutions that have stopping power in traditionally crowded aisles, increase consumer interaction and engagement in store at retail shelf and E-commerce platforms. GSK is also seeking a similar connected engagement with the consumer at home, conveying an interactive and seamless opening experience, product safety guidance and dosing information and reminders.
- Smart packaging solutions that provide personalized alerts and reminders such as regional allergens and pain triggers for instance, to take the hassle out of daily management of health
- Artificial intelligence integrated into packaging that provides a personalized and easy connection to our consumer daily life
- Sustainable solutions that do not compromise packaging functionality
In addition, the Pharmaceuticals business discovers, develops and manufactures medicines to treat a broad range of the world’s most common acute and chronic diseases. GSK has a broad portfolio of established medicines and a continuous focus on developing new ones in Respiratory, HIV, Oncology and Immuno-inflammation. Since several of our medicines are intended to treat life threatening conditions, it is critical that they are administered and/or taken accurately and consistently per the prescribed dosing regimen. Hence, they are seeking active and intelligent packaging technologies that can facilitate the following for our pharmaceutical product base:
- Authenticity of the medication and tamper evidence
- Comprehension of and easy access to use instructions
- Live tracking of dosing accuracy and compliance
- Live monitoring of health condition
Your Challenge Pitch can cover one or more of GSK consumer and/or pharmaceutical brands, but it has to be presented specific to our packaging formats and designs. Presentation content should be very specific to GSK brands including brand identity, language and image such that solutions are fully relevant to their products, needs and philosophy. All technologies should keep cost of goods, sustainability and recyclability in mind. Functional prototypes and/or demonstrations are welcome to better show case the technology and its application to our products and packaging.
GSK will follow up directly with individual companies to further explore concepts that we would like to pursue as an outcome of the challenge. For more details about the GSK challenge, please contact Eef de Ferrante at AIPIA. GSK has chosen the AIPIA’s World Congress to host this challenge recognizing that packaging innovation creates brand value and builds a personal connection with a consumer enabling them to do more, feel better, live longer. GSK has been a member of AIPIA since the Association was established in 2011 and supports AIPIA’s mission of facilitating the implementation of Active and Intelligent Packaging technologies and spreading knowledge of these technologies and their benefits.
Note from AIPIA: for all those providers who like to pitch to the GSK team at the World Congress, please send a short mail with details of your technology and for which brands/products of GSK it is applicable. (email@example.com).
Please note a pitch to GSK will take 4 minutes maximum. "if you cannot explain it in 4 minutes, it is probably not a good idea"Back to list